Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2015

About a boy, an outing.

Dear diary,
It was dark, I could hear the ocean. It was very peaceful. 
Until, a shrill ringing broke me out of my semi sleep. Oh, that's right I'm at the beach house. 

The ringing again, and I flicked the light switch. A phone maybe? There were a couple at home, but I can't say I've ever heard them ring before, not like that anyway. Catherine mobile maybe, but it's like "chupachup". 

I sat up and ahh! Oh yeah, my leg, oh man. Ringing. I'm coming I think. 

Slowly does it, please don't hang up. 

Nearly. 

There, I put it on speaker and left it on the cradle (my elbows don't bend so I'd have had to put it on speaker anyway, and well one less thing to have to hold on to). 

Hello?
Maddie!
Andy? How'd you get this number?
Moowahahaha, I have means and ways. 
I couldn't help but laugh, ooh and yawn. 
Oh dear I woke you up didn't i?
Sort of, I was kind of conscious and the phone just helped it a bit from easy paced to high speed. 
Oh hmm, well a half sorry then. To make up the other half I was wondering if you'd come out with me this morning. 
Umm. 
It might cheer you up a bit. 
I'm not sure I'll be able to go very far or anything. 
That's ok. Mum and dad are wanting to take Lawrie to a train museum. 
Haha, choo choo. 
Exactly. So it'll mostly be sitting on a train. What do you say?
I think I can sit. So yes. 
Yes. 
I'd better ask Catherine though, that whole you know parent worry thing. 
Sure, but I think she'll be fine with it. 
I'll let you know. Um, what time?
Dad wants to leave here by 8.30, so about quarter to 9. 
Do you know this address?
Yes. 
Cool, I'll see you soon maybe. 
Seeya. 

The call ended. I didn't think I'd make it over to my crutches leaning on the drawers near the door so I hobbled back to bed. 

Via my bottle of pain tablets. 

Hey, Maddie. 
Catherine, hello. 
How do you feel this morning?
Okay, I think. I have had a couple of these though. They work really fast. 
Oh that's good. How about I make you some breakfast?
Err not really very hungry. Ooh Andy rang to ask me to a train museum. 
Oh good, so you'll go?
Yes, if that's ok. 
Absolutely. It might help you take your mind off things. 
Yeah. So breakfast might be a good idea.   Tea and toast would be nice. 
Good o.  I'll go to the shops later, get you some more stuff. See if they'll let me back in after that trolley I abandoned. Hahahaha, reminds me of the earthquake we had in '89, my mum brother and I were doing the groceries when the Newcastle earthquake hit. We thought a plane had landed on the roof never having experienced an earthquake before, and high tailed it out of there leaving the weeks shop in the trolley. 

I didn't think breaking a leg was like an earthquake. 
Guess not, but it has shaken me up a little bit. 

I brought you some clothes and shoes for your outing. And a bag, I'll put your crutch a bit closer to the bed. 
Thankyou, hey wait minute, you knew about the outing?
Maybe. 
Hoh. And Andy knows the phone number and address of this place. 
Yeah. He spoke with me yesterday after I left here. He wanted to know how you were. He really cares about you, you know. 
I couldn't help but smile. 
Are you sure you're not boyfriend and girlfriend?
Ma!!

Oh, you've not called me Ma before. 
Oh look, you're gonna make me cry. Of course you're my Ma, or Mum. It just makes you sound old, so I call you by your first name, as I would my best friend. 
Noh. So I guess Andy'll be that soon. 
Ma!
Hehehe. Anything you want from the shop?
I trust your judgement. 
Ok, have a nice morning. 

A bit later, after trying to eat my toast, drink my tea and dress myself there was a knock at the door. 
Hey Maddie, nice house. 
I know right. 

Maddie, Maddie we're going to see choo choo. 
Hey buddy. That's so cool isn't it. 
Yay. Ooh a chair with wheels. 

Hey Andy give me a push. 

Haha not today buddy. We're going to see the choo choo remember. 
Oh yay. 
How bout you go back to the car where mum and dad are so I can help Maddie get ready. 
Okay. 
We'll be there in a sec. 

He's such a larakin, I said and tried to get up with the help of the crutch. I'm nearly ready. 
Ooh you okay with that thing? The crutch slipped out from under me. 

Andy caught me. 

Thankyou, I said when I felt a bit more steady. He was really strong. 
That's ok. 

You sit down. I'll help with your shoes. 

A very cinderella moment. 
What else do you need? He asked. 
Can you see if there is a bottle of water in the fridge. 

Hmm, there's not much of anything. 
Yeah, Catherine said she'd do some shopping while we were out. 
Oh here ya, Mountain Dew. 


That'll do. It just makes taking tablets a little easier. 
Does it hurt much?
When the tablet wears off. But it takes a while. I got a good nights sleep at least. I think I'm ready. 


Oh my hospital tag. 
I guess with a knock to the head they wanted to help in case you forgot who you are. 
Hahahaha. 


Choo choo here we come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment