Pages

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

My American Girl Doll of the Year

So I started this post some months ago, when things were still called My American Girl, and I thought I had an opinion on the Girl of the Year. Things change however, and My American Girl is now called American Girl Truly Me, and well I still am yet to see Grace Thomas - the actual Girl of the Year 2015 to be able to give a real proper opinion, for who knows what might happen in the next 6 months and maybe if I saw that fringe (the bangs) and those blue eyes up close in person I might give an opinion from experience.
couldn't get the image from the website any bigger to stay in focus
Pros: her Josefina face mold, her freckles and her boots
Cons: (but may change) the bangs, the top and skirt, the blue eyes.

The bangs/fringe:  the bit that starts in the side part.
It looks like they might be using the same idea on the new Mary-Ellen doll if the mini doll pictures are true, Living a dolls life has this one of the mini doll . I have seen a played with doll picture and it looks okay, the owner has removed the braid, and brushed the entire area so you can't really see the bit in issue.
I think I prefer Nellie's Fringe, and well if they wanted it going to the side only, they just need to make sure it is from the part over.

The Top and skirt: just meh for a meet outfit but I do like the Red jumper and shorts of the City Outfit, the Pajamas and the Opening Outfit pink dress if they'd left the mesh overlay alone (did Isabelle do that?)

No Image   No ImageNo Image
These images are from the American Girl Website here

The eyes:

Australian Girl Emily's blue eyes

American Girl Marie-Grace's aquamarine eyes (apparently on the colour scale of things there's blue and there's green, half way between is called Cyan, halfway blue to cyan is cerulean and aquamarine is on the blue side of cerulean)
Anyway, the point of the pictures of blue eyes, I like the design of Emily's, not just a black dot in a coloured circle, there's variation in the coloured area, more realistic. Marie-Grace does have the pinwheel pattern, which I think is what Grace Thomas' are.

So I'm still umming and arring over Grace.


My American Girl Doll of the Year is not Grace Thomas, 
yet.

So, the doll I wanted to talk about was a My American Girl, but due to several delays on my part, has become an American Girl Truly Me doll.  The doll has not changed but the outfit has, and I like it, so it is good that I had to wait, almost.

Now the title is not a promise that I'll only get one My American Girl this year, especially after the May 21 rename to Truly Me saw the new gorgeous Sonali mold in medium skin tone 62, and the Ivy/Jess mold update to 54 and new doll 64 released. (Just in case you haven't seem them, these are the stock pictures from the American Girl website)


No Image  62  No Image 54  No Image 64

Wow, may you guys stay around long enough for me to buy you, so my girly is pre 62.

This is the My American Girl I've had on my list, and almost came home with me from Oahu in November instead of Samantha......

while I did want to keep the suspense up a little this was how her box looked  when she arrived by airmail. Her face was covered unfortunately by the great wad of an activity box (it weighs just under half a kilo and is solid, not soft)

she was grazed above her left eye, a bump on the nose, and a shine line on her forehead, and I promise they really are there.

promise, well at least the one on her left temple is showing

squishing of box


A little concussed from a turbulent flight, and a little puffy eyed from crying knowing that it may mean travelling back to either hospital or for a refund.  I couldn't do that to her though, knowing that either possibly meant her doom (my understanding is they would replace her head so she wouldn't be her anymore), I had loved her at first sight, and that didn't change even with the scars.

The Truly Me outfit, with pierced ears, the earrings match...

these lovely blue shoes, I actually like it with these shoes

Just a hint of blue on her dress - the embroidered star on her left shoulder


the nasty activity box, the earrings purchased with the piercing (second pair of blue studs, a pair of silver studs, attachable star dangles and open hoops) and a Truly Me outfit

haha, realised after all that and publishing this post that I forgot to tell you who she is

she's number 61

fair skin, red hair and green eyes


1 comment:

  1. She is beautiful! Even with her little scars and scuffs. Our Grace had a serious hand injury from a puppy and we decided we couldn't send her to the hospital because she wouldn't be OUR Grace any more! I'm glad you made the same choice.
    http://thesavagedolls.blogspot.com/2013/04/graces-hand-injury.html

    ReplyDelete