Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2015

About a Boy, and t-shirt

Dear Diary,  Tuesday

So I did and I didn't want to go to school today. Mariana and Josefina assured me it would be okay. If not straight away, eventually. They still played with dolls, which I knew, so they said I was not alone when it came to still liking things deemed for kids younger than high school, and if everyone was forced to confess there was bound to be heaps of others the same. I couldn't feel as enthusiastic about it as Mari and Jo, but went all the same, and well, hoping to see and thank Andy.



I am glad I went actually. Andy was waiting for us at the gate, with the biggest grin on his face. He was wearing a sign pinned to his t-shirt.


I couldn't help but laugh, and not just a little laugh, or one smothered by snort, I laughed out loud, a mixture of mirth and relief. Not just the sign, which he wore all day, but when people looked at him wierd he said, I'd rather be a clown than a clone.
Andy was at my locker at recess, waiting for me, a bit like a guardian angel, he asked if I wouldn't mind him hanging out with me. I couldn't help but notice the girls from his year slowly walking by, including Krystle, and the looks on their faces. I asked Andy if he worried he might have made some enemies, if he hung out with me, but he said he didn't care to be friends with bullies and fake people, and we walked down the hall together, passed all those girls, and went outside and sat on the benches near the handball courts and watched some games, before the next lessons started.

Well it seemed that the recess snub didn't sit too well with some people, and when I went back to my locker at lunch time, someone had written all over my locker door, in artline pen, "Lego Girl". Andy wasn't far behind me, and when he saw it he got really red in the face and stormed off. The same year 10 girls were standing nearby and were laughing behind their folders and locker doors, that was until Andy came back with a similar pen and started to write all over his own locker "Lego Boy". It started to draw a crowd, especially when he moved onto one of the girls lockers and wrote Bully in large letters.  A crowd of teens being where they shouldn't be drew the attention of a couple of the teachers, and with a clean hall policy, meaning the only advertisements were on the notice boards and decoration of the outside of lockers a definite no no. Andy took a stand and explained the situation loudly and clearly, without naming names, but everyone knew who he was talking about. It was hard to tell if the teachers were impressed or astounded, but dispersed the crowd, the girls seemed to melt in with the exodus and it left Andy and I in the hall.  We spent some of lunch time cleaning the lockers, Andy had made three of the Bully lockers known. We were heading out to the field when one of the teachers, Mr Rawson, I think he is the Year 11 head teacher stopped us. He reckoned Andy had a good head on his shoulders and well should consider running for school council, with Year 12 leaving at the end of the week, the school captain and council votes would be open for the start of Term 4 and for 2016. The captain was only open to the next year 12 students, but a position on the council was a good step in that direction for 2017.
Wow. Andy said he'd think about it. It did involve speaking at assembly on Friday, like a vote for me speech, and he had alot going on already, I presumed he was talking about the adoption/foster situation, but he said he'd talk to his parents about it. A position on the council, if he got voted on, did mean out of regular school hours meetings and attending things that would take away time from other important stuff he said, I could tell though he was seriously considering it.


Maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment