Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2014

To Ebay or not to Ebay, or Out with the Old

The question to Ebay or not my old Barbie collection, or should I say what is left of my old Barbie collection, came up two weeks ago when I asked my spouse if he had any friends with little daughters who might like them, and he asked if I was still thinking of selling them.

Ah!  How many times did I have to walk away due to a headache of sorting through my things? How many times did I have to put a timer on myself to walk away or as a reminder that I wasn't there to play? :-)

I knew I had alot of stuff, I knew I had had alot more stuff, but occasionally I'd go through it and send off no longer favoured or remembered Barbies to the lady who does the toy stall at the market
(to do whatsoever she chooses to - she sells some, and has a charity organisation links to offload the semi trailers worth I've given).  The stuff up to two weeks ago took up half a bedroom and the double built in wardrobe, it was all boxed, but not in any sorted order, so I moved into down into the garage (fortunately we have a big one). That bedroom has taken on a new lease of life, and the vaccuum cleaner now fits in the wardrobe, along with the camping gear (the stuff that took up part of the other half of the room).  It now is home to the old TV cabinet that the spouse doesn't want to part with (at least Barbie's TV cabinet fit into a shoe box, oh alright how many Barbie pieces of furniture? etc etc), the book shelves, some reptile enclosures, and a nice piece of carpet that we hadn't seen for a while.

Sneaky... the room that used to hold the book shelves is rather empty, or was....
Tada - 1 craft room. I've got spouse's old desk for my sewing machine, a chest of drawers that lived in the previous shamozzle full of doll stuff that will well, we'll see, it needs sorting out too but shut drawer lalalala can't see a problem. I've put my Hello Kitty House on top of these drawers.  There is a book shelf with some books, but a portion of my old Teddy Bear collection also lives there.
A built in wardrobe - so far has my boxes of "Box Backs and Brochures" on the top shelf. The hanging space is secretly planning to become a Barbie house! I know I know, the idea was to get rid of them, but I don't think I could honestly part with all of the dolls, I'm thinking of keeping the ones that were the first of the sets - before duplication set in, anyway we'll see.
Eventually the plan is that post November 2014 I will paint the room and rip up the carpet. The walls are grey, and come to think of it so is the ceiling. When we bought the house it was freshly painted, but I think the seller knew only 3 colours.. pale blue - the main bedroom and robe and ensuite was all pale blue - walls and ceiling, the bedrooms were grey - all grey walls and ceilings, and the rest of the house bone/offwhite. So anywho.... 12 years later+ I might repaint that room. White ceiling, maybe a red - rich deep red feature wall, not sure yet, must sort out stuff first...

So what to Ebay?
There were things I just totally doubted people would pay money for and they went in the bin (stuff I'd made out of plastic containers and stuff). Stuff I knew the doll lady from the market had an over abundance of (Barbie bodies and teddy bears too good for dog chews) so they went to the Charity that does an op-shop. Some teddy bears stayed and have been temporary amusements for our furry friends (I tried to not feel guilty over amputated ears and limbs and innards). Some Barbie playsets from 20 years ago, a little worse for wear, (made from cardboard and missing a few bits) went to the doll lady who has an interest in the older things. Leaving some stuff I still have a little bit of affection for and that I think are worth something to me in a financial way, so I thought I'd see if anyone else felt that way - on EBay, before I'd give them away.

So the point of this post..
an introductory to farewell the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment