Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Australian Girl dolls

Entry 2nd February 2015: I was quite chuffed the other day (and a little bit embarrassing, sorry Rhonda) (was it Australia Day? 26 January 2015) when checking my emails, Rhonda from Living A Doll's Life, had actually emailed me to ask if I had any experience with the Australian Girl dolls. (I've double checked, it was the 29th, not quite, but close).
There is actually a doll, made for an Australian company called Australian Girl. I knew they were there but had never ventured pass that .
Unfortunately I had to confess my unpatrioticismness (that is not a word) and admit that I had not had any experience with this doll, but I did say Yet so well the opportunity is still there.
Does that mean I am going to get one? 

MISSION.... CHALLENGE..... ?

I've emailed Australian Girl to see If I can use their pictures on my blog.  I've got a link, see above, but was wanting pictures, and well we'll see what they say.

In the mean time I found an Australian Girl blog:  Australian Girl Fan  for an Aussie's perspective.

Opinion so far: the dolls have a very pretty face - I think that is what I look for first.
There are 5 dolls with a range of skin tone and hair and eye colour.  The skin tone goes from very pale (red head) pale (a blonde and two brunettes) and a very light brown (not a huge range in other words). The face mold is the same for all, which is a little bit of a shame as I got the impression one of the girls is supposed to be Asian (by her cartoon picture), but has the same round face and round eyes as the others.  


*********************


Entry 16th February 2015: with funds from the sale of my Kitchen Littles collection, I was weighing up a purchase from the American Girl online store. I even got a quote and an order number, just prior to Valentines Day, and then they release new stuff and I go oh what! now I'm undecided again, and do I add a Grace Thomas with that wierd fringe thing (but shes a Josefina mold), or a number 61 (red hair fair skin classic mold), no, I had started to ponder Australian Girl a bit more and a story line of a Not Grace Thomas moment  and if she fits in with the school kids, being a little taller she'll be a favourite for the basket ball team Llewellyn (aka Julie Albright) is hoping to have.

Soo... well...I've ordered one, and I've emailed them again this time telling them I've bought one (I'm not after freebies, I just want to use some pictures) and to ask if I can use their website pics, maybe I should have said I wasn't after freebies.

Anyway, this blog entry has no pictures, yet, but Swish and Swirl does, click the link and enjoy


:-)  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)



Entry 22nd February 2015:  Australian Girl were very prompt with my order, like Monday night I bought her, Tuesday she was on her way.  The doll did cost $129.95, so she is not cheap. American Girl dolls start at $115.00 each.  - we do however need to take into account that the $129.95 being charged is straight Australian dollars, no exchange rate mind boggling calculations (the known rate is not always what the credit/banks charge).  American Girl are in US dollars so currently if I'm generous that we're worth $0.80 to one US$  so the American Girl would already be $140 at least.   For overseas (outside Australia) buyers wanting an Australian Girl the exchange rate could actually work in your favour, using the same example it would only be $104US.  Be careful because of the postage expense.  I do not know what the cost would be to other states of Australia, nor for outside of Australia - If you are concerned I guess they are able to answer queries of that nature before you commit to it.  For me, I was charged $20 Australian, drive away no more to pay, and that was getting her from Western Australia to New South Wales, about 4000 kilometres, using Australia Post (the cheapest adult airfare I found for tomorrow was $599. I wonder what Australia Post would charge me?).   I have made enquiries with American Girl as to what they would charge to get a doll from the US to Australia. I don't know if other states are more or less (New South Wales is on the east cost and the Pacific Ocean is between us and the US west coast, so it is closer to the US than say Western Australia - another 4000 kilometres away).  American Girl would charge me $60 as the base cost for transport (which is pretty good considering the distance etc etc) and then it is more and calculated depending on what else I got, and of course exchange rates. So it would be at least $175 US for an American Girl doll.  I had also sent in a request for a quote with just clothes/accessories, and was advised that the base cost of $60 existed for merchandise worth up to $170 total and then would be calculated if the total passed that, so you would probably want to buy at least that to get your moneys worth, and part of the reason for my umming and delay in the first place. However, it probably works out cheaper than 1 item at a time, or going via other sources such as Ebay. (It's called saving up, and not having to use your pocket money/kitchens littles on a domestic bill, ahh, that pre 20's experience).

So.. It will be seen ever so soonly what I'm getting. The email confirming my purchase was also linked to the Australia Post tracker, and as of Friday my little Miss Mystery is in Sydney, awaiting the next part of her voyage.

The Australian Girl website used to play 'Waltzing Matilda' - our unofficial national anthem (about a sheep stealer), I don't know if I've turned it off, or it just isn't there anymore, but I'm humming it and have been for a week.

A good page with the lyrics and an explanation

and one of our passed Country Singers renditions Slim Dusty

No comments:

Post a Comment