Pages

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Josefina becomes a toy



Josefina Maria Montoya Nash, the name I had decided she to have is a Pleasant Company version, the stamp on the nape of her neck, the tag free body, the soft eye lashes, and she came to me mint in box, had only been a display item.  She is so beautiful.
I prefer to have play dolls than display dolls, yes it will affect their resale value, but I don't buy with the intent of reselling, I buy them because I like them and want to give them things, and dress them up and do hair, and free them from the bondage of the box.
Anywho, you already know that I dressed her in warmer attire over winter (shirt and tights), and with much guilty feeling ruined her original leather like shoes. I've since noticed that there is a slight discolouration on her ankles due to those shoes, I haven't been able to get the lighting right to show you a picture - its like she's got a tide mark. (Is anyone else starting to get very paranoid about their dolls and colour transfer? Is it only American Girl dolls that have this problem?) Spring arrived and the winter attire was a little over the top, so I thought to try some other clothes on Jo.

Caroline's travel dress

Felicity's dress with choker

and without

and the American Girl Snowflake Jumper outfit (from 1997)
 
Jo looks great in all the outfits, but I decided to stick with Caroline's dress. She is wearing Our Generation shoes - Jo's feet are a little bigger than the Mattel dolls
 
this is Jo's foot on the right, Llewellyn's on the left (Julie - her previous owner had given her red nail polish, it has flaked off, and I haven't quite worked out how to remove the rest safely)

Our Generation boots, and the American Girl skateboard shoes - they were really tight on Llewellyn, no go for Jo

 
With that little bit of play, and the marvellousness of velcro, Jo's hair still in its original plait, was starting to look a little messy.  I had taken her original blue ribbon with yellow flowers off, and replaced it with a red ribbon to match Caroline's dress


the pictures aren't showing it, but there is hair sticking out everywhere.
So I thought to tidy it up a bit. These shots are a last look at a perfect tail end...

 
 
 
So after much debate I undid and brushed her hair. The rubber band that was under the ribbon and flower fell apart in my hands at the slightest pull. Her hair was oh so nice to brush, a little hair fall, and I tried to keep it in the 3 parts for replaiting, finding like trying to restock a trolley after its been through the checkout that the make up brush tail was never to return (no one has perfect ends on a pony tail anyway). And so after I believe 17 years of being a shelf ornament, Jo became a toy...


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment