Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Whats in a name?

When I went to Sunday School it was often important the meaning of the names of the characters.  Just imagine the burden of having to live your life according to the meaning of your name.
I don't think I had taken much thought into the meaning of the names that I gave my dolls, oh actually there was one large Cinderella doll - one of the ones the size of a small child, that I named after searching for names of significance to match the colour of her hair, which was, something like Leora with Light being one of its meanings.
Anyway, so I was wondering if by any coincidence I had named my dolls some significant name that matched their personality or interests or just plain haunt them for the rest of their lives (unintentionally).
Actually upon checking the names I do recall searching for Japanese names for Yuri (box name Yuko)
Yuri = lilly  (very pretty name for a very pretty doll)
These are the other meanings, some are for names similar or slight variations on the spelling:
Ariah = melody
Brandon = little raven
Brooke-Lyn = brook, stream - beautiful
Callie = beautiful
Chloe = verdant (green?) and blooming
Eleanor/Ellie = light
Erika = honourable ruler
Georgia = farmer
Gillian = youthful
Hayley = hero
Harmony = a beautiful blending
Josephine = God will increase
Juliette = soft haired
Kaitlyn = pure
Leisel = oath of God (a german form of Elizabeth)
Maddelyn = magnificent
McKinley = son of Kinley, son of the white warrior
Melody = song
Victoria = winner, conqueror
Zoe = life

Oh, well there you go.  The McDonald twins are musically inclined = Melody and Harmony and if I recall that had been intentional.  Their brother Brandon - a little raven? a black bird - he likes electric guitar, eh
Anyway doesn't matter.  I named them using names I liked and that seemed to suit them at the time.  Surnames? we might just leave the subject for now.


“I read in a book once that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but I've never been able to believe it. I don't believe a rose WOULD be as nice if it was called a thistle or a skunk cabbage.” ― L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

No comments:

Post a Comment