Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Book Worm

Inspired by the dolls of Beastsbelle at tessandmaggiesblog, my BFC Ink girls have formed a book club, they've called "The Book Worm".  It is probably in particular due to Juliette's nickname.  She is the biggest reader of all my dolls. The original version of Calista, came with a Book Worm t-shirt, and I managed to get a 2nd hand one, who was only too willing to give up the shirt for Juliette, as she prefered other things like lava lamps and dreamcatchers.

To keep up with the club I am also reading the book or books of the month, and will attempt to write a little bit about what the club discussed.

Book for May 2013:  Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell:
Before reading it the only thing I knew about it: girl called Scarlett, a green and white summer dress, and she makes a green dress out of curtains (which I associate with Maria and the Vontrapp kids in the Sound of Music).
Whilst reading it: *a little bit bored by the war manouevres, but the other part of the history lesson has opened my eyes some, about the actual reason for the civil war, and the Klu Klux Klan
*not impressed by the character of Scarlett, she is so selfish.

Not Long to go and hope to start on a Stephen King novel

Juliette:  The Book Worm president
birthday May 15th

Time flies when you're reading a good book, the above post was started a week ago, Juliette finished Gone With the Wind (-tempted to watch the movie, don't intend to ever read it again, curious on the sequel "Scarlett" but not too curious). 
Juliette came to me from Greenwood Maine USA, and maybe that influences her a little when her prefered author is Stephen King (who is in Bangor Maine). Anyway so since finally finishing GWtW, Stephen King's Carrie has flown by, and she is now reading  "Before Midnight, a retelling of Cinderella" By Cameron Dokey.

Carrie was about a young girl who had telekinetic powers.  Unfortunately her very strict upbringing by her religious mother, and the differences noticed in her by her peers because of this resulted in her having a very unhappy childhood, to the point where she sought revenge and wiped out the majority of her graduating year at school and half the town.  Juliette had seen the shorts to the remake of the movie, and needed a refresher. The movie is hopefully out later this year.
Stephen King just somehow gets me hooked when I start his novels, some are gruesome but I guess that speaks to some deep down dark side I have (keep your eye on me and back away slowly), some I know I did not quite finish, but they are still there in the growing pile (of his works, not the unread)and I can come back and start again later.

I'm trying to read a different author between Stephen Kings. I am tempted to go back over the Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin (if only he'd publish the missing ones).
Cinderella is a favourite fairy tale of mine and alot of my BFC girls so it was great to find another version of this.  The same series of books "Once Upon A Time" appears to have a rewrite of a number of other fairytales, and possibly will be added to the read list at some point in the future.

Happy Reading...


No comments:

Post a Comment