Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

My first American Girl Doll

!! In transit - my first American Girl Doll!!

Nervous...
.. the price for one thing, I've paid $100 for her, plus postage of another $50. I haven't spent that much on a single doll since.. hmmm maybe the AA Swan Lake Barbie, or the AA Romantic Interlude Barbie
.. I've never had a wigged doll before, that I can think of. Will it look like she's wearing a hat? Will it feel funny where the head meets the hairline? Based on the advice of the AG site I have also purchased a wire bristled brush - I hate brushes.
.. The body is stuffed fabric - will it just look wierd if she doesn't wear neck to knees and long sleeves? I do have some Toys'r'us Journey girls with the partial stuffed fabric torso, the neck shoulders and bust are vinyl though and unless in midriffs or bikinis you would not realise it. The strings are still visible that tie her neck to her body.
.. She's second hand, and at least 7 years old, still fetching $100 when a brand new one would be a $110, though the Ebay pics and sellers description indicate she has been well looked after though, and I am a bit of a sucker for unwanted 2nd hand dolls (if you saw my My Scene collection, and well 1/3 of my BFC inks are 2nd hand too).
I did have a list of pros and cons, but well I guess we'll have to wait until she arrives to make full decision. Its done now.

I've been tossing up for ages whether to get one or not, the frustration of one doll line going out of production (ie the BFC ink dolls) making me look around for others (a bit fickle I guess really - I still love you BFC girls and boys, and do plan on making you better homes etc).
By luck I managed to win an Ebay auction on Sunday morning.
I was tossing up whether to buy one off Ebay or not as they appeared to sell at very high prices higher than the brand new ones off the AG website even.  Though there are the discontinued dolls which if in good nick are collectible and in limited numbers, so it appears are worth more, I guess it depends what people are willing to pay for them really as to their worth.
And look at me I've joined the throng and bought one!!

I wasn't too keen on the classic mold, though I am finding myself wondering if I would just to have one, some hairstyles and colouring it may be ok. I think its the big cheeks and buck gappy teeth maybe, though they all have the buck gappy teeth (except Kaya who looks like she's about to cry).
The Asian face mold is one I'd like to have she appears only to ever have been released once, so it may be hard to find. There is the Jess version which has been released a few times that could be used instead, and Kanani with her long hair is very tempting.
Not yet sold on the Addy face mold, but it would be cute to have one of each, and I'd probably rank the Sonali mold the same way, on the list but maybe later.
I love the Josefina mold, and was originally keenest on Julie the 60's hippy girl (have you seen her VW, its gorgeous), her long straight blonde hair her dark eyes, I think it was Julie who set my mind on that face mold.  Rebecca Rubin of the wavy hair, Nellie and her strawberry blonde short hair, Josefina with hair darker skin, and then there was Marisol...
I kept forgetting about her as she is retired, Marisol Luna Girl of the Year 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment