Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Only a weekend apart

My posting has been a bit slow coming, whilst Friday 4th of July saw the arrival of American Girl Julie, Monday the 7th of July saw the arrival of #30. Missed by that much in having them as twinnies - sort of - some of my dolls birthdays are based on the day they are arrived home, and well now that its been predetermined by Aus post that they wouldn't be then I'll have to think of something else.
So what are you on about? as much as I love the story of American Girl Julie, I do not think I can keep my doll true to the books, so there will be changes to make her my own, but still with a Julie-ish flair.

One of the things with Julie is her best friend, Ivy. Ivy is cute as a doll, but with that haircut I just couldn't warm to her, so it was not really on the list to get Ivy the doll, her stuff maybe, but someday.
I went onto the American Girl website shortly after my Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh moment with Julie, and was looking at the choose your own doll section. It just so happened that the one who popped out of the page at me had the features of Ivy, just nicer hair, in my opinion.  In a bid to rescue a used doll from Ebay I had to find out what to call her,  American Girl Wiki has been very helpful, it was suggested there that she was called number 30.
Off to Ebay I went, I think under this search criteria I found an empty box for sale, as much as I love boxes this would not do, so I thought I'd search under the extra criteria of Asian.

A well travelled box

Travelling popcorn

Travelling Bubble Wrap
 
Number 30, hello!
I am yet to work out where her outfit comes from, I was initially not sure if the items were handmade or factory. However, the animal print on the pants matches the animal print on the collar of the jacket - obviously a different colour, and there is a label on the inside of the jacket with copyright 2005 Mattel and 2005 Viacom. I am still googling that. There was also a very well made pair of shoes, no immediate identifying marks, I might have to have another look later.

Number 30 changed out of her travel outfit in this Our Generation bath robe, just while I found something a little more suitable. I did not realise, with back support, that American Girl dolls could sit with their legs almost out front - rather than the spread version sometimes needed, I was impressed.
The other thing I found out - was it on Wiki - lets say probably - that she has what is called a Jess face mold. Wow, I am impressed by even the little bit about Jess' that Wiki has on her, and she even has a green monkey - I wonder if its supposed to be a Sloth? 

Here she is in something a little warmer. I found this lovely outfit on Ebay. It came with black leggings, a long sleeved white shirt with high collar, the headband, and the coat dress with a hood.  Her boots are from Our Generation
She has such nice hair, side part slight wave.
 
This is with my other Asian Inspired dolls, BFC ink (Yuko) Vicki, and Journey Girls (Callie) Shannon. Shannon had been wearing the boots with socks, but graciously gave them up - especially after seeing those fringed fabric Our Generation boots.


Julie came down to greet her new like branded friend, and assured her that Catherine had planned on giving them new names, and that she could stop feeling like an Agent out of Get Smart. At this comment she giggled and they both became instant best friends, and walked off together whistling the tune from the same TV series. The recent movie was cool, but the old TV series was a crackup.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment